Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Snow Crash

I really enjoyed reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, there were so many things to relate to. The whole concept of the metaverse reminds me of current mmorpg's. It seems like it will only be a matter of time before something similar is developed in our own world. We have the power to create it we just need to work out the details. The world is already tied together by the internet, and millions of people have access to it. The only thing we seem to be lacking is making the sensory parts, we have technology that can sense our bodys mostions and apply them in a game, such as with the Wii but it still isn't perfect. I deffinately believe that if a metaverse was created in our world I would join. Yet there are other parts to the story other than the metaverse, yet all of it seems to be tied together. This was one of the things that made the story confusing at first, Stephenson would jump back and forth between the real world and the metaverse and it could be hard sometimes to tell which you were in.
Overall I really enjoyed the characters in the book, especially Y.T. now it may just because I myself am a teenage girl but I found myself wanting to be her. Crusing along on a board down the high way, working with the mafia, meeting the Raven. Y.T.'s skateboard is one of my favorite technologies in the book. You can go anywhere over any terrain as if it is a smooth surface, it is as if it is a part of you as you move, it moves. I cannot wait untill something like this is developed in the real world, I can't actually skateboard but this sounds like something I could manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment