Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake was probably my favorite book that I read during this semester. The concept of the world as we know it ending and starting a new seems so plausible and like it could happen at any moment. The way this book is set up was very intriguing. By starting in the middle of the story and working in back story and leading up to where they started kept it interesting. Throughout the whole book I was kept on the edge of my seat wondering how things got this way. The characters Crake, Jimmy, and Oryx were very dynamic and had so many aspects to relate to that really pulled me into the story. I really felt like I was there with Jimmy experiencing what he was experiencing, tried to work through and understand what is happening and trying to understand how it all relates to his past. I was always looking forward to the passages about his past and his experiences with Oryx and Crake. I loved reading the stories about Oryx's past, and just like Jimmy I wanted to know more about her, understand why she is how she is.
Also there are many great quotes in this novel, such as this one that talks about society, "Human Society, they claimed, was a sort of monster, its main by-products being corpses and rubble. It never learned, it made the same cretinous mistakes over and over, trading short-term gain for long-term pain. It was like a giant slug eating its way relentlessly through all the other bioforms on the planet, grinding up life on earth and shitting it out the backside in the form of pieces of manufactured and soon-to-be-obsolete plastic junk." I found it very interesting because in my business class I was writing a paper about urban development and how it affects the cultures and the environment. This quote seems right on with human society and how we are damaging the world.
I find the different concepts and studies of humans as a whole and the problems with our species to be very interesting this book definitely highlighted many concepts and ideas that I have thought about in the past and presented them in new ways. I have already recommended this book to many of my friends and I intend to read it again when I get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment