Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Stars my Destination

As far as sci-fi goes Ive never read a book in the genre. Ive seen a lot of sci-fi movies and TV shows but that was the extent of my knowledge. I enjoy the adventure and the creativity of new worlds but I'm not a big fan of all of the being on a space ship for chapter upon chapter, which thankfully this book didn't have. In the beginning it starts out on a spaceship but he finds a way out pretty fast. The main character Gully Foyle is interesting to say the least. At first he was easy to identify with, the feeling of mediocrity, nothing makes him special or stand out, until he becomes possessed by revenge, and that is when I thought he took a turn for the worse. I honestly didn't like the character that much, it was interesting to follow his struggle but I didn't like him as a person in the least bit. For me to really enjoy a book or novel I need to be able to relate to a major character in the book and that's what I thought this book lacked.
Yet I really enjoyed the concept of Jaunting. It reminded me of apparating in Harry Potter. Yet all of the government regulations and rules and defenses they had to make for this new mode of transportation were very intriguing. I loved how much detail Bester went into about all of the ins and outs of jaunting. Especially all of the new defenses people had to put up against it such as labyrinths and having only certain spots they can jaunt to, in the governments attempts to regulate it. Also the concept that they can only jaunt certain distances made it interesting, its not just like you can poof anywhere in the world, you have to make jumps.
I feel like the concept of all of the new rules and regulations is a lot of what sci-fi is based upon. It is just an exaggeration of our own governments and what we could turn into.

No comments:

Post a Comment